So let’s be real, the days of not using a hot tool on our strands is a day of the past. I envy the messy, bun, towel dried, out of bed but still cute look that so many girls (aside from myself) seem to pull off oh so well. For me however, I have to work for that look. It takes a day or two of dry shampoo before I can even make that effortless look work in my favor.
For over a decade I washed, blow dried and styled my hair almost every other day, if not every day. Aside from the fact that I no longer have that kind of time, I realized my hair didn’t deserve that kind of hell! So here’s a few reasons why I no longer blow dry my hair and a few ways to get around that.
- Flash drying (or blow drying at high heat) removes the water that sits on the surface of your hair. However, in doing this is also takes the moisture that should be going back into your hair once it dries. So essentially it is like drinking a gulp of water, holding it in your mouth and then spitting it out. Still thirsty right? You get it, the idiot analogy wasn’t needed.
- It is extremely time consuming. There is so much else I would rather do than sit there holding a blow dryer to my head.
- My hair breaks a lot easier when it is wet. Running a brush through while blow drying my hair always tends to pull more hair out of my head than running around letting it air dry.
- By using my blow dryer for all bout 5 minutes on a very low setting and letting my hair air dry makes it feel less stiff. Styling seems to lay better when my hair has been air dried.
So what do I do different now?
- I shower like normal and try and squeeze as much excess water out of my hair while I am standing in the shower.
- I wrap my hair in a towel while I run around picking out my clothes, brushing my teeth, washing my face etc.
- About 15 minutes after, I once again squeeze my hair with my towel.
- Then I run a quarter size amount of Leave In Conditioner(link below) through the bottom half of my hair, then the same amount on the top. I avoid any product close to the roots of my hair. Since your hair creates natural oils closest to your root avoiding product near the root can prolong the next hair wash.
- Then I brush my hair. (Brush link below)
- I then use my blow dryer on the cool or warm setting about 6-8 inches away from my head and blow dry for about 3-5 minutes while i run my fingers through my hair. (The reason I do this is because your hair swells when it is wet. During that time the proteins in your hair are trying really hard to hold your hair together. The shorter the dry time the less stress on your hair.)
- I give my hair one more good brushing and let the rest air dry.
Obviously, if I was strolling around the park and a bird decided to lay one on my head and I needed to wash and style my hair before a job interview in an hour I would definitely use a blow dryer. Aside from that scenario I try to stay away from the hot setting on a blow dryer. So if you’re looking to cut a few minutes in your hair care routine I hope this guide helps!
- BRUSH: https://www.ulta.com/professional-flex-dry?productId=xlsImpprod16731431&sku=2515414&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=pla-294680686006&CAAGID=18002902230&CAWELAID=330000200001228961&CATARGETID=330000200001332369&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqq7-r7G32QIVEYrICh0ThgUQEAkYBSABEgIkIfD_BwE
- LEAVE- IN: https://www.ulta.com/miracle-leave-in-product?productId=xlsImpprod6481230&sku=2218075&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=aud-370516521359:pla-300240268222&CAAGID=47403364473&CAWELAID=330000200000135807&CATARGETID=330000200001234024&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIif3B2bG32QIVTrnACh1aTwTJEAQYASABEgKeOPD_BwE